Thursday, July 5, 2012

When are writers done writing?

I'm working through yet another edit of my WIP. I plan to send to my awesome agent, Terrie Wolf, soon.

It seems that no matter how many edits I do, I always find something to change or add. Maybe it's a snippet of dialogue that popped into my head during a run. Or a scene that was so real that it jolted me awake in the early hours of the morning and I just have to work it in.

I'm anxious to send my newest novel to Terrie, but I don't want to send it too soon. But how soon is too soon? That's the big question.

And perhaps an even bigger question: is a work ever really done? I imagine after my book is published that I'll find things that I wish I would have done differently. But I can't beat myself up over would haves and should haves (Tough for a perfectionist!).

 In the end, I'll send it to Terrie when I feel that I've done the best I can do, knowing that her editing will make it better. I'll send it to her and hold my breath and bite my nails until I hear back from her (checking my emails every five minutes). 


As I inch toward the end of this edit, I'm thinking about my next book and the new journey I'm about to begin. 


How about you? How do you know a book is done? 

1 comment:

  1. Do you need a critique before you send it to Terrie? I figure a book is done when it is on paper....

    ReplyDelete