Sunday, January 9, 2011

Don't stop believin'

I worked out at the Y today. Ugh! It was dang hard. It was one of those days when I knew what I needed to do but my legs wanted no part of it. But I willed myself to work through it. Every step I took, every minute I ran brought me closer to my goal. Two hours later, I was glad I hadn’t given up. Yes, it would have been so much easier to stay home and enjoy the awesome fire Hubs had made on what turned out to be a bitter cold day. It would have been easier, but far less satisfying.

So what does this have to do with writing? Nothing and yet everything. There are days when you might not feel like writing, days when you might question your talent, days when you might just want to throw in the towel. Don’t. Don’t ever throw in that towel. If you have a goal, go for it. If you have a dream, keep it. Don’t let anyone tell you you’re not talented enough or good enough or smart enough. Who are they anyway? Yes, some days will be tougher than others. But if you push through the bad days you will get to the good ones. It might not be tomorrow or the next day or next. But it will come. And when the good days come, they will be dripping in so much sweetness that the bad days will melt away.

I hope that you’re always able to push through the tough days. That your struggles make you stronger, your doubts become weaker and you find victory in every step, no matter how small, you take toward whatever goal you have. I am always amazed by the journey and how much it teaches me about myself. Mostly, I’m amazed that God has given me something so precious – the ability to write and touch and help others.

I hope you have an amazing week filled with everything good. Blessings, Buffy

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. And your analogy from exercise to writing is a great one. Both are sometimes hard to do. (I think the writing is hard to squeeze in mostly for those of those who work.)But you're so right, most of the time, we just need to push ourselves to do it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete