Friday, January 25, 2013

Our writing reveals a lot about us


Truth time here. I've never had self-esteem issues. I’m confident and outgoing.  But when it comes to my fiction, I’m sometimes insecure. My agent, Terrie, and I discussed this recently. She knows that I sometimes need her reassurance that my writing is good, that my work will be published.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about my insecurity as it relates to my writing. When I write, I’m tapping into the remote corners of my being -- my thoughts and feelings and emotions few are privy to. And my life experiences -- the good and the bad.  I’m revealing a lot about myself.

Growing up, my father always told me, “You’re too sensitive. You need to toughen up.” Sorry, Dad. It never happened. I am who I am. I feel deeply and love completely. And when I write, it’s my sensitivity that empowers me to tell stories that will hopefully resonate with others. I want to connect with them in ways they never expected, move them to think and feel and care.

In everything I write there’s a part of me. And, just like the new kid in school who hopes to be accepted and loved, I yearn for that. And yet, people might hate what I write. It’s the fear of them rejecting my work that fuels my insecurity, I suppose. No one likes rejection. And no matter how seasoned we are, it hurts when someone doesn't like our work.

Now, that's something I need to toughen up about. We all want everyone to read our work and love it. Truth is, not everyone will.

No comments:

Post a Comment