I hate when I read trite expressions or descriptions in writing or worse, when I write them. Make sure that part of your revision process includes trashing the trite.
Let's look at some examples and you see if you can come up with something better.
1. Lexie's plan was rotten to the core.
2. Becca noticed the red car as quick as a wink.
3. The dress was as white as snow.
4. The rumor spread like wildfire throughout the school.
5. Sean was as brave as a lion when the doctor gave him his shot.
6. Matt drank like a fish and smelled like one, too.
What trite expressions do you see in writing?