Monday, September 10, 2012

Fact or fiction: Stranger on the rail trail


The guy was creeping me out. Despite my best efforts to shake him, he was catching up fast. I was too tired to run any faster. My legs hurt, and I was only on mile two. My best bet was to stay on the trail and hope that I’d see someone else soon.

See, I kept reprimanding myself. This is why you don’t run alone on the rail trail. I should have known better. Normally, I run with Erica. But today, she woke up with a major migraine. So, I decided to go it alone, ignoring that little voice inside of me that was warning me not to

What could happen this early in the morning? I told myself. No one is as crazy as you to run the rail trail at 6 a.m. Most people wait for a more respectable hour.

Despite The Voice, I laced up my Nikes and tore out the door. And now, as the man dressed in black got closer and closer, I fumbled for my pepper spray. At least I was smart enough to bring that. My heart pounded. It felt like it was going to pop out of my chest.

I didn’t see the pothole in time. I stumbled and tumbled to the ground. The pepper spray rolled out of reach, and the man dressed in black was beside me.

Fact or fiction? Read on to find out. 


This is fiction. This has always been one of my biggest fears – running the rail trail alone and being accosted. I only did it once and didn’t enjoy the run because I was constantly looking around to make sure no one was following me. After that, I decided no more running alone in secluded areas. 

I incorporated a similar scene into the first book in my Yearbook Series -- Gina and Mike. Only instead of the rail trail, it takes place in a cemetery.


To read that excerpt, follow this link.

Read another fact or fiction post.


No comments:

Post a Comment