Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Writers: fact or fiction?

A squirrely man, dressed in khaki shorts, a black T-shirt and flip-flops walks up to the door of a convenience store. He stops a few feet short of the door and takes a drag of his cigarette. Before entering, he balances the cigarette on the narrow brick ledge in front of the large window. He walks in, buys whatever (probably more cigarettes) and walks back out. He walks over and picks up the cigarette, which is now almost a stub, and takes one last long drag.

 Fact or fiction? Answer on the jump.



This is fact.

 I saw this when I was at the convenience store. I never saw anyone "save" a cigarette by balancing it on the wall ledge. And I definitely got the feeling that there was no way this man was going to stub out a perfectly good cigarette before there was nothing left of it to smoke.

So, I add this scene to my growing collection of scenes that might end up in one of my novels. 

Oh, and by the way, this will be a new feature on my blog. I will give you a scene and you have to guess if it's fact or fiction. What fun!


4 comments:

  1. I do that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I used to smoke and found myself in the midst of a pool game, I would balance the cigarette on the ledge of the pool table, making sure the cherry hung over the table to prevent any burn marks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of these fact or fiction scenes. I'm going to look forward to reading them :)

    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great scene! I could totally see a guy doing this.

    ReplyDelete