Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Autographing books

I sometimes picture myself autographing one of my books. I visualize my hand sweeping across the page, maybe even drawing a smiley face. God willing, my dream will one day come true.

If you're published, how do you sign your books? Is there a saying you always write? Do you include the recipient's name?

And if you're an unpublished writer like me, how will you sign your book when your dream becomes a reality. Notice I said "when" not "if." (Smiles)

I see that sometimes people sign the cover rather than an inside page. I suppose by signing the cover other people can see that you have an autographed copy more easily, if that sort of thing matters to you. And I guess for the author, signing the cover saves time because her or she doesn't have to open the book.What are your thoughts on signing the cover versus signing an inside page?

4 comments:

  1. I went to an author signing and she asked for the spelling first. Not all names are spelled the same. Especially nowadays. She signed the first page. It was great. I have horrible penmanship so I would be terrified! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about asking how a name is spelled. You're right, so many different ways to spell the same name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of my signed books were signed on the inside.. I wouldn't want it on the cover because it could wear off. It amazes me how gracious most authors are when signing.. Deb Caletti signed 3 of my books and put a different saying inside each one! So did Elizabeth Scott.

    As for the name spelling, most book signings I go to will have you write your name on a sticky note suck in the page so the author doesn't have to ask for it.

    I'm also psyched at the idea of signing books in the future, despite the fact that my penmanship totally sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheyanne, great idea about the sticky note. I never would have thought of that, but it's a great way to make sure the signature is where you want it and your name is spelled correctly. And thank you for making me feel "normal" about being excited about signing my book if, I mean, when that happens (God willing).

    ReplyDelete