Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I've been invited to numerous "Fifty Shades" sex toy parties


OK, so what’s with all the “Fifty Shades of Grey” sex toy parties? Seriously. I’ve received three invites to “Fifty Shades” themed parties in the last few weeks. Everyone seems to be getting into the act. No pun intended.

Now, I admit. I read the books. How could I not? I mean, I’m a writer and the trilogy has dominated the New York Times Bestseller list for more than 20 weeks. So, of course, I had to read them and see what all the excitement was about. To be honest, I wish I were making the kind of green the author is making off of “Grey.”

I imagine the business at sex toy shops (both online and brick and mortar stores) is booming. Not to mention the sales of rope, tape and ties at hardware stores. 



I was at the bookstore on Sunday and one clerk yelled to another, "Do we have 'Fifty Shades' in large print?" Of course, everyone standing in the vicinity turned to look at who was asking for the large print.

The whole time I was reading the book I kept thinking, God, I am so vanilla. I didn’t even know this stuff existed! Yeah, I know. I’m way naive. But geez, writers often write what they know and I couldn’t help wondering how much real-world experience the author had.

Anyway, what do you think of this phenom? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Have you gone to one of these parties?

5 comments:

  1. OH NO! Is this the next wave of product parties that is going to sweep my co-workers?

    If I'm going to buy a sex toy, it is not going to be a room full of my co-workers. Nor do I really want to see what they buy ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sex toy parties don't work like that. All purchases are privately done.

      Delete
  2. Dianne, from what I understand, the purchasing is done in private with the consultant. I've never been to a party, but that's what I've been told. *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad none of the girls I work with will do this. because I would have to pass. Not because I'm against sex toys, but I think I'd prefer buying them in a more private fashion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whats better than getting to laugh with your friends for a few hours, learn helpful hints and tricks from a consultant, many who have been doing parties for years. These consultants are "trained" with the latest up to date usually medically backed information. The orders are always taken in private, you don't know what anyone else orders and they dont know what you order unless you tell them.
    Parties are much more inviting than going to a sex store with people working there looking at your every move like you might steal something. You ask the girl behind the counter (or guy if you have enough guts) and they just look at you like you are stupid. Oh of course you could buy online, then you get the toy and you hate it because you couldnt see it before you bought it.
    Seriously, sex toy parties, are a blast. They are a great way to LEARN something new and not about your friends or your coworkers.

    ReplyDelete