Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ella's Dance: A Grandma note

Note 365
My dearest Ella,
I can’t believe that I’m writing the last note you will ever receive from me. By the time you read this, a whole year will have passed since my death. I pray that my notes have helped you find your way. My hope is that you will read them over and over and that they provide a compass that will always lead you in the right direction.
I will leave you with one last thought. From the moment I saw you, Ella, I loved you. I was blessed to have you in my life and honored to be your grandmother. I pray that your life is filled with many blessings and that your triumphs, not your tragedies, define you. Be well, Ella, and dance, even when the music stops, I hope you dance my sweet child.
Love you bunches and bunches, Grandma

3 comments:

  1. I was not prepared to cry tonight! I hope you are agressively working on finding representation, Buffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying so hard, Sharon. Just hasn't happened yet. But I feel so strongly about this book. It's not sexy or edgy and maybe not what young adults are looking for, but it's about life and universal thoughts and feelings. It's the story that I absolutely had to write. I cried, too. I can't believe I wrote 365 notes! Some are very short, but still. I decided that Ella is going to write a letter to Grandma. It will be her way of letting Grandma know how much the notes meant to her and how much they helped. And I really think that the notes are advice and words of wisdom that any parent or grandparent would want to pass onto their child. I think that in many ways this book is really a crossover. I think (hope) adults will enjoy it, too. Anyway, thanks for stopping by and giving me all your support. It is so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buffy!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm crying. And I don't even know your character yet. WHEN this gets published I am buying it.

    You know, I write each of my boys a secret letter every year on their birthday. I have 13 letters for my oldest son and 9 for my youngest. I think I'm going to present them with the pile on their 25th birthday. I love writing the letters and the grandma's voice is so, so very similar to what I write my boys. It gave me chills reading her words.

    I wish you all the luck in the world with this.

    I'm on blogspot too. Feel free to "stop by" any time - I'd love to have you.

    http://skateorbate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete