Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trust God and we'll see what happens

I’ve been thinking about trust lately. A lot. In fact, ever since Pastor Greg's sermon three weeks ago (Matthew 6: 24-34) I've said to myself repeatedly: Trust God.


“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?”

“Do do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.”

I’m a worrier. I don’t deny that. But I need to trust God to take care of the things I cannot take care of. I need to live in the present moment and know that tomorrow belongs to God.

So how does this relate to my writing? Well, I've been thinking about ELLA'S RAIN (formerly ELLA'S DANCE) lately. I'm revising it. I don't know why I've been worring about this book so much, probably because I want it to be published so badly.

This book means a lot to me for reasons too numerous to go into in this post. Suffice it to say that much of a writer’s material is born out of personal experience. Such is the case with ELLA’S RAIN, which deals with a 17-year-old girl who loses her grandmother, who raised her, to cancer.

The grandma leaves Ella 365 notes, one for every day of the coming year. Grandma wanted to share some of her thoughts, things for Ella to think about as she journeyed through life. And she hoped that the notes would comfort Ella and provide the guidance she would not be there to give.

And so, I trust the Lord that if ELLA’S RAIN is to be shared with the world, it will be. I’ve written the book I had to write. My agent will do an awesome job trying to sell this book. But we can only give it our best shot and hope that it's good enough.

So, no more worrying that it's not good enough or whether people will like it. It is what it had to be.

 May you always find hope in despair, life in death and that big things can happen to little people if we put our trust in God.

5 comments:

  1. I wish you much luck with Ella's Dance. I love what I've read of it. :) I'm a worrier too, Buffy. I have lots of Bible verses taped up to help me try to not worry quite so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon. You've been a big supporter of this book from Day 1 and I've always appreciated your kind words and encouragement. Have a terrific week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's all you can do Buffy. Whether a publisher buys a book, even a really good one, is out of our control. Good luck with the revisions and the submission process. I'm hoping you'll have good news to pass on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post. My pastor talked about faith yesterday and I've been repeatedly telling myself the same thing. It's hard to stop worrying, but it's very liberating when you trust all your worries to God! Let Him worry, and you keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precisely Cheyanne. But it's hard to do. It's hard to give up that control. There's where the trust comes in. Trust in God that he will handle the things we can't handle and see us through. Thank you for commenting on this post. Have a great day. Blessings, Buffy

    ReplyDelete