Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Places to people-watch

On Monday we talked about finding character names in various documents (graduation programs; newspaper listings of honor rolls, births, divorces, obits, etc.) Today, I wanted to talk about places to go people-watching.

Since we had to arrive at the stadium 10 hours before my son's graduation to ensure we got a seat, I had plenty of time to watch people. So ceremonies of any kind are great places.

The other night I was volunteering at the concession stand for a Willie Nelson concert and let me tell you, I saw a lot of "things" from behind that counter. It turned out to be a great place to people watch, when I wasn't fixing nachos or chili dogs or pouring beer. (Just for the record, I turned out to be a really great beer pourer. I worked that tap like I was born to do it. I think I might have missed my calling.)

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to list places that are good for people-watching. Of course, the places on the list will work for some characters and not others. For example, a bar is not the type of place you go to people-watch kids and storytime at the local library is not the place where you go to people-watch beer-drinking idiots. With that in mind, I will start the list and you add your places in comments.

Bar
Movie theater
Fairs and carnivals
Mall
Coffee shop
Bowling alley
Airport
Cafeteria
Library
Sporting event
Snake hunt
Beach
Pool
Church
Easter egg hunt
End of marathon
Funeral
Yard sale
Grocery store
Lingerie store
Senior center
Electronics (game) store
Soup kitchen

Where's your favorite place to go people-watching?

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas. What about grocery store, school, anywhere kids are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and how about a book store. I've seen some interesting peps there. :)

    ReplyDelete