Tuesday, June 14, 2011

When your golf game sucks...

The other day, Hubs and I went golfing. Well, if you want to call it that. It was more like a game of let’s-see-if-we-can-hit-every-sand-trap. It wasn’t a pretty sight. I was frustrated and mad that my game sucked so much.


Wouldn’t life me great if all of our shots went straight (One of my balls stayed in a tree!), if we avoided every sand trap and never got in the rough? Yes, pure bliss.

Or would it be?

Part of life is failing and trying again. In many ways, I think we learn more from our failures than we do from our successes. We learn (hopefully) what not to do. We practice until we get it right. We improve over time as we hone our skills.

Sounds a lot like writing, eh? It would be great if everything I wrote was golden. If all of my books sold and were huge successes. Unfortunately, that’s not reality. Dang! But that doesn’t keep me from trying. And it shouldn’t keep you from trying.

Tom Krause said: There are no failures – just experiences and your reactions to them.

It’s so true.

So when Hubs and I go golfing this week, maybe I’ll avoid some of the sand traps I ended up in last week. Maybe my balls will go straighter and no trees will be stupid enough to get in my way. And maybe, just maybe, my game will be better. And that’s something I can live with.

And, who knows, with enough practice I might even get a hole in one – some day.

Rea my column: We learn from our failures

No comments:

Post a Comment