Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hurray for sidekicks

I love the sidekicks in my novels. In THE LION AWAKENS, Petra is Annie's best friend. She's hyper and crazy and funny and full of life. Here's a fun exchange between them that I think will give you a taste of Petra. Tell me if it does and then tell me about a sidekick that you've created in one of your books.
..................
“Oh. My. Gawd.” Petra blurted out as soon as she saw Annie at lunch. “Did you hear? Did you hear about Jess Gross? She really is gross.”
“What happened?” Annie asked, playing dumb.
“Well, I heard Chad Hoover, he’s the catcher on the baseball team, tell Ryley Martin, he plays first base, in math class that Jess picked her nose and wiped it on his shirt. He was totally grossed out. I mean, I would be, too. What was she thinkin’? You know what this means, don’t you?”
“What?”
“Jess is off the A-List. Not that I care. I mean, she was the mastermind behind the granny pants incident. Remember that?”
“How could I forget.”
“Yeah, you and everyone else. But maybe now they’ll talk about Jess instead. After Chad told Ryley about Jess, they started callin’ her Boogie Boobs. Cause you know she has big boobs, which they like, but now that boogie deal sort of scratches that out.”
Petra went on and on recounting all of the incidents that Jess and the other Sisters bullied and made fun of others. The boogie incident had clearly made her day.
“And another thing. Did you know The Sisters have rules?”
“Like what?” Annie asked.
“Like they’re not allowed to wear jeans, even on gym days.”
“That’s just plain weird,” Annie said.
“Yeah, I know. But they have this whole list of rules that they all have to follow.”
“How do you know?”
“Well, Jen’s locker (she’s the blonde with the mole on her cheek like Cindy Crawford) is near mine, right? And one day I saw Jen and another girl, I forget her name, but she’s also a sister, yell at another sister because she wore jeans. They were designer jeans, but that didn’t matter. They told her that she had to follow the rules or she was out. That her not following the rules was a bad reflection on the rest of them. Like how stupid is that?”
“Pretty stupid. So what happened?” Annie asked.
“They snubbed her the rest of the day. Didn’t let her eat lunch with them. Haven’t seen her in jeans since.”

5 comments:

  1. well, I definitely don't want to hang around with jen or her buds cuz I like wearing jeans! Sounds like high school to me, with all the accomanying drama. I'm guessing Annie's the calm one.

    They do sound like a fun pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah sidekicks rock! they can bring a surprising amount of comedic relief and also show another side to the MC. I have a sidekick to my MC kinda like Petra. She's a new friend to the MC who comes out with some bizarre thoughts and also egg's the MC on in several instances- brings another level into the script.

    Great scene! Petra sounds like a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcy, I agree. Definitely wouldn't want to be on this A-list. But what's a ton of fun is seeing what Annie does to the A-listers. She can control minds etc. and she MADE the boogie incident happen.

    Miss Ali, so agree that sidekicks rock. You're right about them showing another side to the MC and providing some comedic relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this! So glad I stopped by. Yes, I always enjoy reading about sidekicks, too.

    I used to know a Petra when I was a young girl. She was a lot older and so beautiful and sweet. We all looked up to her. Thank you for reminding me of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie, I'm glad you stopped by, too. And I would love to share the book with you when it's published. First, need to find an agent. (Smiles)

    ReplyDelete